Tuesday, October 5, 2010

HGKWW :::nappy vs. kinky:::



Some ppl don't mind the use of the word "nappy" in reference to their hair texture. It's not that i mind, but the word "nappy" has such negative connotations.

I prefer the word "kinky."



Out of curiosity, I googled "nappy."

A couple definitions I ran across are:

1. gross, disgusting
2. fuzzy
3. often offensive--tightly curled or coiled

That doesn't really sound like how I'd like my hair to be described. "Nappy" is even noted as being an offensive word. Apart from the word being defined as "sexually deviant" (mhm...some of y'all already know lol), "kinky" simply means "tightly twisted or curled."



The words are viewed as synonymous, but "nappy" suggests something unfavorable & unpleasant. I see "nappy" as what happens to unkempt kinky hair.

& so i describe my hair texture as "kinky" =)

No comments:

Post a Comment