Friday, December 10, 2010

HGKWW ::: "I love my hair!!!"

I'm sure by now that many of you have seen Sesame Street's "I love my hair!" video...

And if not:




Cute, right? ABC News released an article on the inspiration of the video that you can check out here:

ABC News: 'I Love My Hair' Video Inspired By Father's Love of Daughter

Now take a look at this:

"I Love My Hair" T-shirts 


*UPDATE: The site removed the photo of the white model & now only have the picture of the t-shirt up... "I Love My Hair" T-shirts updated

This company chose to have a White young woman model a t-shirt based on something meant to show African American girls that they should love their hair as it is. Does the race of the model really matter? Do you think this website missed the point? Do you think the message of the t-shirt changes once someone who is not African American decides to purchase and wear it?

Thoughts? Feelings?

4 comments:

  1. EXTRA CUTENESSSS!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. lmao So I watched the video not realizing the T shirts and that is just RETARDED that defeats the entire purpose of the song and the entire movement in itself..

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw (-_-) in the recommendation to read and comment I was quite confused. Now after reading I am just the same if not so much more. The race of the model makes a HUGE difference. A white model pulling her hair (yet still tempting little black girls to want to look like her) and wearing the shirt that represents the "I Love My Hair" video is blasphemy. The website even goes as far as to caption it with "It does so many things... It looks good in cornrows" What?! -_- I need a black company to produce and sell the T-shirts and for black women everywhere to buy them and send "MIGHTY FINE" a million pictures of models they could have and should have used...

    Lastly, if people of other races are more supportive of the shirt than blacks than yes that would defeat the message but as long as blacks support the overall focus it will be fine.

    P.S. Someone please get the black support movement started. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking at the pose/ demeanor of the model wearing the t-shirt... doesnt it seem as if its supposed to be satirical? Like... a joke? Are they serious? At least the model could have been looking/acting like a model... she could even don a blank face...but her present expression...really takes away from the home message of the shirt and the song. I feel that for the shirt and message to be truly empowering, a black girl (hopefully with a head full of natural hair) should have worn the shirt. I just cant get over the fact that this...is supposed to be the legitimate website for the sale of this shirt. 'Tis utter madness.

    ReplyDelete