Tuesday, December 7, 2010

HGKWW ::: The "Search & Destroy" Trimming Method

I love scissors. Too much.


Give me an array of colored construction paper & see what happens.

There was a time when if you told me I needed to trim my hair, I'd look at you like "BACK UP!!!!!"

Well, not anymore...I've learned to get over my hair cutting phobia. In fact, lately my friends have been screaming for me to stay away from the scissors. But I really despise crappy looking ends & seeing my split ends fall away is really therapeutic.

But don't be like me & go hair chopping crazy!!!

Many people like to get their hair trimmed every 6-8 weeks. The truth is, if you take good care of your ends, most of your hair probably doesn't need a trim! There are usually a few culprits in every bunch, but overall your ends may be just fine. So how can you avoid cutting hair that does not need to be cut?

The Search & Destroy method!!!

And yes. It is exactly what it sounds like. You search for the damaged ends and you destroy them!!!!!!! Well, you cut them off...

The S&D method can be done every month or two and definitely in-between full trims.

*NOTE* Whenever you cut your hair make sure that you are using actual HAIR SHEARS...not regular scissors. Using scissors that are not specifically designed to cut hair can result in MORE damaged and split ends.

There is no real set way to perform a search-and-destroy...I've seen several suggestions on how to do it. I usually don't make it through my whole head in one sitting and I focus on about one square inch of hair at time. Make sure your area is well-lit so you can clearly see which ends look stressed and are splitting.

Here's a chart to guide you in knowing which ends need to go:




Because I do not wear my hair bone straight often and favor curlier styles, I do not need all of my hair to be exactly the same length. This makes me a little less anal about getting traditional trims, so the S&D works for me.

All you need is good light, hair shears, a mirror, a magnifying glass if you so desire & PATIENCE!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Great post! This is like my life story, lol. Before I would dread getting a trim, now I don't hesitate to cut any split ends, knots, etc. And good point about not worrying about your hair being the same length because you wear curly styles more...I agree. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I don't even think I stare that long at my hair to notice the different kinds of splits. I just grab and snip

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a chronic hair cutter myself. I cut my own hair too. I have yet to find a hair dresser that is worthy of tackling my crazy textured hair. The problem is, I do wear my hair straight a lot in the winter, but I've learned to deal with my own trim. Hair dresser nowadays are chemical nazis and instead of helping me keep the hair God gave me healthy, they keep tryna push all of these different straightners on me and I'm not beat for the money or putting that stuff in my body...

    ReplyDelete