Friday, October 22, 2010

HGKWW ::: all grown...out?

Over the past few years I've seen more and more women decide to go natural by doing the "Big Chop"...

I was 13 years old when I decided two years of burning my scalp every 6-8 weeks with Just For Me was enough.

But there was no way in Beelzebub's house that I was going to do the Big Chop. A baby fro was NOT what was hott in middle school & I couldn't imagine myself without long hair anymore.

So I grew my relaxer out. And oh, how I wish I knew the things that I know now.

Having two entirely different textures on your head is really frustrating. They react to products differently and demand different amounts of attention.

Many transitioning women depend on braids, twists and weaves to get them through the change. But what if that is not in the budget or simply not your style? What if you just want to know how to deal with your own hair?

First, I must warn you. It will NOT be easy. This is part of the reason why women are so proud of their natural locks when they start to see progress. You work for it. It does not, however, have to be a painful process.

A few things to keep in mind...

  1. DEEP CONDITION!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keeping the moisture and protein in your hair balanced will so crucial to avoiding breakage. The bond between your relaxed hair and new growth is weak and fragile. Neglecting to keep your hair conditioned is asking for trouble.
  2. ADJUST YOUR ROUTINE!!!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately, what was working for your relaxed hair may not be working out all too well for your new growth and vice versa. You will have to look around for products that make both hair textures happy.
  3. EMBRACE YOUR CURLS!!!!!!!!!! Learning to give the flat iron a rest from time to time is a big step. Avoiding styling with heat will help decrease the amount of breakage you might see. Manipulating your hair all of the time never allows it to rest.
  4. COMB WHEN WET!!!!!!!!!! I had to learn to not try to do too much combing and detangling when my hair was dry. All I would hear is "snap snap snap" from my relaxed hair breaking from my new growth. You still have to be gentle when the hair is wet, though. Combing the hair while the conditioner is still in it helps with the detangling process. Experiment with styling your hair when it is wet.
I am going to start posting on transitioning hair from time to time. Sometimes you need a little pep talk! Set goals for yourself and reach out to others like you, even if it's just on natural hair forums. Feel free to comment on this post with questions...that'll help inspire future posts!!! Even if I don't know the answer off the top of my head, I don't mind doing a little research to help out!

No comments:

Post a Comment