Thursday, December 16, 2010

::: HGKWW ::: Healthy Hair Is "Good Hair"



The "good hair" discussion has been coming up over and over again lately.

I cannot stand when people classify "good hair" as a certain hair curl pattern or length. & it hurts my heart to see women feeling discouraged about their natural hair journey because they are having hair-type envy.

I have people tell me all of the time that they can't go natural like I did because they don't have "good hair" like I do. Let me tell y'all one thing. I work HARD to get my hair to look decent everyday. I don't just roll into bed at night & roll out in the morning looking fresh & ready to go for the day. This isn't magic. I constantly experiment with hair products and styling methods. This wasn't innate knowledge. 

I also dislike the story that many Black women like to tell about how they know their hair is unmanageable without a relaxer so they've been getting one since they were 6 years old. *serious face* You were doing your own hair at age six? Do you TRULY remember how your hair was when you were that young? Who told you your hair was impossible to deal with without chemical alteration? I'm pretty sure you did not come up with that on your own. Don't let other people stick their negative conclusions upon you. 

Now. If you so choose to get relaxers because that is the best for you and that is what you are comfortable with? Fine. I'm not going to gather my fellow kinky ladies & stand outside your home to protest. But please do not tell me that you get relaxers because you don't have "good hair." Please don't. If that is what you believe, then keep it to yourself.

Don't tell me you can't wear your hair in its natural state because you do not have "good hair." That implies to me that your definition of what makes hair good is all skewed and mixed up.






So how do I define "good hair"?

Healthy hair is good hair.

The end.

Just because you get a relaxer to make your hair more manageable for you, does not mean it is healthy if you do not take the necessary steps to maintain it.

Just because your hair has a looser curl does not mean your hair is automatically healthier.
It takes time to learn how to handle your hair when it is natural. Especially since by the time most of us were old enough to handle our own hair, we had relaxers slapped on to our scalps to save us from the plaguing struggle of having to work with our kinks and curls. *insert sarcasm here*

Just be patient. If you see someone rocking a style or if someone recommends a product & when you get home & try it, you have a tragic outcome, don't be discouraged. Don't pout & declare that you have been skipped in the distribution of good hair genes. Everything doesn't work for everybody. Everything does not affect everyone the same way.

Love your hair. Embrace it. Take the steps you need to in order to keep your hair healthy and you too can flaunt your "good hair." xoxo



3 comments:

  1. I couldn't have said this better myself, and I agree with everything you said. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had to say, many wouldn't know it now, but this has always been the plague of my life. I always felt like I didn't have good hair and although I didn't always have a perm, every time my hair was without one all the people around me (friends, family and hairstylists alike)would talk about how unmanagable it was.
    My natural times were spent with my hair in tightly pulled ponytails that had afro puffs at the ends because styling all that seemed to be the worst. Recently I started the journey again and thanks to wonderful blogs, people and a new mindset, I have a full head of nice natural kinks and I love them! No my hair is not easy to maintain nor is it a shake and roll type that will just be cute in a snap. But its healthy and its growing.
    It's GREAT hair. Wouldn't have it any other way!
    Thanks Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i completely agree wit u healthy hair is good hair i love my hair because its natural and healthy

    visit/follow
    http://styledefinedlondon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete