Wednesday, October 13, 2010

HGKWW ::: inside out!!! [PART I]

If you love food the way I love food, you will probably not enjoy what I am about to say.

One of the best things you can do for your hair is eat right.

NO!!!!!!! Don't close out the window yet!!!!!!!!!!

Just hear me out, alright? I know that some of the most delicious foods are the worst for you. This really won't be that bad.

Now I could go and list all of the vitamins and minerals I know are good for you from my research over the years...but who really knows that a few good sources of Vitamin B are prunes, clams and avocado just off the top of their head? .........No, I meant besides me...........Right. So I am going to suggest some foods that can easily be found in your local grocery store. We'll take this slow and do this in parts. I do not want to overwhelm you in one post.

#1
I told you how important moisture is for your hair, right? Before you even go through the aisles of the beauty supply store searching for the perfect water-based moisturizer...you can get a headstart by drinking more WATER. Yes. Water. How much? Try to work your way up to following the "8 x 8 rule"...Eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Drinking water is the simplest way to begin growing healthier hair. And it's just good for you in general!

#2
Remember when Mom used to tell you to eat up all of your daggone vegetables? You're about to be mad you hid them in your napkin to throw out or feed to the dog. DARK GREEN VEGETABLES are great for your hair. They are sources of Vitamins A & C, iron and calcium. Spinach? Collard greens? Broccoli? Yes! They result in stronger roots and promote more growth.

#3
These aren't a green veggie, but CARROTS are another thing to add to the list. Carrots can do some good for your scalp and a healthy scalp is key if you want to grow healthy hair out of it. BONUS: Carrots are great for your vision. Carrots make for a healthy snack (I love dipping them in blue cheese and sometimes lose control) and can also be used as a salad topper.

Still with me? Good. Told you it is NOT that bad.

#4
In addition to being a good alternative to grabbing that big ol' bag of chips, NUTS help with keeping a healthy scalp and hair retention. I always enjoy walnuts and pistachios. Almonds, brazil nuts, cashews and pecans are sources of omega-3 fatty acids, selenium and zinc. (What does that mean? -__- ) Selenium strengthens your hair strands, a proper amount of zinc in your diet prevents shedding, and omega-3 fatty acids condition your hair and scalp.

#5
Speaking of omega-3 fatty acids, SALMON is your go-to for that! I am honestly not big on seafood. A doctor recommended taking fish oil tablets...After a few months I did notice a difference in my hair and nail growth, but grew tired of taking them. But I will tell you they work. Flaxseed oil is another alternative and you could always depend on those good ol' walnuts for your omega-3 fix. I also started cooking with OLIVE OIL to help make up the difference.

#6
BEANS, beans...good for your heart...the more you eat, the more you can expect to promote hair growth!!! Not how that goes, huh...Well, beans are a source of iron, zinc and biotin. I have mentioned iron and zinc, but biotin thickens the hair strand and prevents brittle hair.

#7
Your hair is primarily composed of protein. So it makes sense that you would need to include that in your diet! EGGS are probably the most accessible source of protein and even considered one of the best sources. You'll also get some Vitamin B and biotin out of them.


So now that you see that you were panicking for no reason, you can make the effort to include more of these things in your diet. Do not go crazy and try to live off of pecans, eggs and water. A balanced diet is the goal here. These are only a few of the MVPs...don't forget the rest of the team.

I am not expecting you to get up & switch your eating habits instantly. Taking on one thing at a time is a good way to get the ball rolling. Make goals. A checklist may help. It is worth not only healthier hair, but an overall healthier you.

No comments:

Post a Comment