Monday, December 20, 2010

HGKWW ::: Warning...Warning...PROTEIN OVERLOAD

Y'all can't laugh.

I'm serious.

I'm going to share a horror story with you. It was traumatizing and old emotions are resurfacing as I recall this past experience, so bear with me. *deep breath*

A few months ago, I got really busy with my apartment hunting and re-locating to Washington, DC...& I didn't notice that I was low on my moisturizer. I figured I could just use my Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner for a day or two until I made it to the store. A "day or two" turned into a week or so. Terrible idea. I forgot that the Cantu Leave-In is protein-based and my hair is very protein sensitive.

When I took my hair down for the weekend, my hair was snap-crackle-poppin'...dry. brittle. stiff. AWFUL. I was scared to manipulate it because I just knew it was all going to break off in my hand. I know. Horrible. Poor me.

This is called a PROTEIN OVERLOAD.

Symptoms? Your hair will feel DRY & BRITTLE. It TANGLES EASILY & if not handled ASAP, you could experience BREAKAGE.
    Solutions? It is important that you AVOID PROTEIN-BASED PRODUCTS until you have restored the protein-moisture balance in your hair--best done with the help of a MOISTURIZING DEEP CONDITIONER.

    I try to tell my friends who have had Protein Tragedies that yes, your hair needs protein, but not all protein conditioners and treatments are created equal. For example, Aphogee is a really hard core protein treatment and I've heard quite a few horror stories.

    People who have chemically treated hair (relaxers, dyes, etc.) are in need of protein treatments more often than those with natural hair since those processes break down the hair. Protein is also key for transitioners--it helps strengthen the line of demarcation and prevent breakage. For natural hair, you have to pay attention to how you hair responds to know if you're protein sensitive, protein needy, or somewhere in-between.

    Need some lighter sources of protein? 

    Aveeno Nourish + Condition Leave-In Treatment

    Garnier Fructis Fortifying Conditioner Long & Strong

    Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner


      1 comment:

      1. Good article! It needs to be more widely known that the "protein is bad" should not be a blanket statement. Your hair needs it (if at all) to different degrees and frequencies. It's up to us to learn our hair's protein schedule and to also pick the right products. Sometimes our hair just doesn't like that particular product. But banishing protein altogether without knowing what your hair needs and when it needs it can do more harm than good!

        ReplyDelete