Wednesday, December 1, 2010

HGKWW ::: The War Against Dry Hair: The Shower Cap

I'm ALWAYS looking for another way to combat the dryness I experience with my hair. And so, every once in a while, I'll share something I've added to my constantly growing arsenal.

Today? The shower cap.

I'm sure that most of us know that shower caps can prevent moisture from getting to our hair. However, not only can a shower cap keep the moisture OUT, it can keep the moisture IN.

Have you been trying your best to keep a daily and/or nightly hair moisturizing routine and STILL notice that your hair is dry when you wake up in the morning? PART of that reason may be because the air is soaking up all of the moisture from your hair products before your hair has a chance to absorb it.

My suggestion to you? After you moisturize you hair as explained here, put a plastic shower cap (the little cheap clear plastic ones will do) over your hair & then place your satin scarf or cap over top of it. Leave it on overnight. In the morning, take the cap off a few minutes before styling and manipulating your hair. Because the shower cap trapped the moisture inside of it, your hair might feel slightly damp. This usually isn't noticeable and dries quickly, which is why I suggest removing the cap a few minutes prior to when you actually begin to style your hair.

Your hair should not feel dry like it usually does since it was allowed more time to absorb your moisturizers before the air got to it. 

Let me know if you try this out, what you liked, what you didn't like & how you remixed it for yourself!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah I have heard of this! Its baggying right? Ive never tried it since Ive been natural but when I was transitioning it def was a saving grace for me!

    I would baggy my buns with plastic/saran wrap instead of an entire plastic cap though. Works just the same, is super cheap and then I can adjust the size/amount of plastic used each time I did it.

    Good looks Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this tip!!!!

    I would definitely recommend that everyone try it. Especially if you're like me, and love instant gratification, it makes me extremely happy to wake up in the morning and SEE/FEEL how much the moisturizer is soaking in!

    And Jessica knows, I get super lazy with moisturizing, but these results made me want to do it every night. I feel like I'm advertising on an infomercial lol, but in all honesty, all this is what went through my head after first trying it.

    ReplyDelete