Wednesday, November 10, 2010

HGKWW ::: What is CO-WASHING?

WHAT IS CO-WASHING?!!!!!

You simply wash your hair with conditioner. That's it.

Now...some people might fight me on this...but...

I do not believe that co-washing should be a complete substitute for washing your hair with shampoo. Shampoo is designed to remove dirt and product buildup in ways that conditioner is not. If you do wish to join the folks who swear by co-washing and have abandoned shampoo, I strongly recommend using a CLARIFYING SHAMPOO once every month or two to rid your hair of the buildup from your conditioner.

What are the BENEFITS of Co-washing?

One. Conditioner does not dry your hair like shampoo. It leaves it feeling soft and moisturized.
Two. The detangling process goes so much smoother!
Three. For my transitioning ladies, it helps make blending new growth with relaxed ends a little easier.

Um...so how do I do it?

You use your conditioner the same way you would use your shampoo. That really is all there is to it. Section your hair. Slather (I just like that word) each section with conditioner. Work it in. Detangle w/ your shower comb. Let it rest for a couple minutes. Rinse.

And how often is this supposed to happen?

Because co-washing does not result in as much drying of the hair and does not strip down the follicles, some people will do it daily. I do not actually co-wash as often in the colder months because it is good to do as a prep for the wet-and-go hairstyles I ONLY do in warm weather (DO NOT WET-AND-GO IN COLD WEATHER!!!). Co-washing several times a week helps protect and revive my hair in its wet state between my regular shampoos. Depending on my time schedule, I will try to co-wash at least once a week when it is cold out.

Which conditioners are best for co-washing?

Some easy-on-the-pocket options? Mane-and-Tail, Suave Humectant, Suave Tropical Coconut, Herbal Essences, Frutis Garnier, Kinky-Curly Knot Today

What if it is not quite working out for me...should I keep trying?

You can experiment with different conditioners, but honestly, co-washing simply may not be the thing for you---and that's perfectly fine! I do recommend giving it a try, though!



3 comments:

  1. I have a question for you. Just as not everyone is meant to have long hair I truly feel that not everyone is meant to have natural hair. I have been natural several times each time taking good care of my hair but my hair seems to thrive off being relaxed. I love all the things that you recommend for hair and right now my hair is weaved up and I plan on keeping it that way until next summer to grow it out. Can I follow the things you recommend even though I have permed hair orrrrrr do I have to follow a whole different set of rules. I don't see why they have to be different.

    Thanks,
    your girl COCO

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol hey COCO!!!

    YES!!!!!! Most of these things work for relaxed hair as well...It's just that when you go natural you have to figure out how to handle all of the texture(s) you didn't know your hair really had when it was chemically treated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah my hair is relaxed too... and Jess' advice is still working for my hair too :-)
    Yolisa

    ReplyDelete